Week 13 Story: The Great Awakening

The Great Awakening

The war has ripped my soul apart... Of every suffering, every loss, and every single moment- this one could kill me. I wish my grief had taken my life.

Each of my beloved sons has perished. 

I have no will and no meaning without my children. Yet, I am doomed to remain in this world without me. Oh gods! Why have you forsaken me? How can I go on without their love and light and laughter? My heart has shattered into a thousand irreparable fractures. My grief can never end until I am with them again. Great god, Vyassa, please help me. 


Vyassa Summons Ghosts
http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/pde-
mahabharata-forest-and-its-ghosts.html

Draupadi and the Pandavas are in the forest by the Ganges with all others who are in a state of ceaseless mourning. Tears filling the river, the cost and carnage of war are never, ever worth their weight. To try and ease the suffering of my people, I will raise the spirits of their loved ones lost. For one evening and until the sun rises, they can be with them and say their goodbyes. These poor, sweet mothers and wives look like shadows of living flesh. What has happened? They too, can go to the great beyond with their loved ones, when the sun rises over the horizon. I can bare their suffering no longer. The torment they have felt has been far more than enough...



Author's note;
I adapted this story from Mackenzie's, The Forest and its Ghosts. The story originally touched me to tears when I first read it. After all that Draupadi has had to endure, her suffering continues. With no true reason, as far as I can tell, she has held the hand of a fate that is beyond cruel.


Bibliography: Public Domain Mahabharata. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913)

Comments

  1. Hi, Blue! I really enjoyed your story! You start of really strong with such a deep statement. It really grabs the reader’s attention! I also really like the picture you chose for this. It adds to this beautifully haunting aesthetic that you’ve got going on! I appreciate that you bring the mothers into the story too. Overall, I think you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Blue, I really enjoyed this story. I love the grief that you portrayed throughout. You are so right that Drapaudi has the worst luck. I can definitely understand why is brought you to tears. How you rewrote the story I could tell that you were emotional about the story. One thing that may be better is the make the link a hyperlink in a word so that it doesn't take up the whole space, but that is my only negative comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blue. I was so incredibly impressed by your Storybook project that I continued to hit the "reload" link until your blog popped up for comments. And what did I find? Another very impressive story. You are a very gifted writer. Seriously, you are really, really good. I hope to someday be able to read more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Blue! This story was so well written and gripping! I could not quit reading once I started. I really like how you made this story so emotionally grabbing. You are so talented. I also liked the author's note it really let us know where the emotion started, with your original read of the story, and how you had it come through in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Blue,
    I really like this rendition of "The Forest and Its Ghosts." Your story was simple, yet, had every elements to catch the reader's attention. I like how this story is told in first-person view of Draupadi. You incorporated a lot of drama into this story, which I appreciate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a BlueBird