Reaching: Shri Krishna of Dwarka



The Earth Welcomes Krishna



Krishna
http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2015/05/free-
book-kincaid-shri-krishna-of-dwarka.html

Wow, Krishna has had quite the youth and adolescence. I will focus on the beginnings of these chapters, which peaked my interest the most; This boy was born as an incarnation to Lord Vishnu. Krishna comes from the tales of the Indian Epic, Mahabharata. I enjoy so much that there is elaboration and further explanations available to these wonderfully brilliant characters within this foreign mythology. I wonder why it is, that so much of western knowledge is lacking of these cultures and tales?

When I was in schooling for my youth, I was taught extensively the stories of Greek and Roman mythology. (Which was indeed my preference on a course like this.) And I feel I was so naive and ignorant to what these incredible stories of Indian Epics entailed. I wish that the school structures of todays youth were taught more of epics from a global perspective; instead of, as I imagine it to be, exclusively the remnants of Hellenization in a historically pre-Christian era.

Back to Krishna...
He was set to be the eighth child of Devaki, King Kansa's cousin. The demon king was told of his fate and set in every effort to destroy the babe; going so far as to slay all of his previous siblings, all sons within Marutha, as well as the surrounding villages. Wow!

Krishna was born from one of two strands of Lord Vishnu's hair- the black one. The other incarnation of the lord comes in place of a snake-like brother (pictured above) and placed from Devaki's womb into another's so as to spare the life of this babe-brother as well.

Such a beautiful, beautiful expansion. I enjoyed this so much and look forward to the next readings.


Bibliography: 
Shri Krishna of Dwarka and Other Stories Author: C. A. Kincaid Year: 1920

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a BlueBird

Week 13 Story: The Great Awakening